The Department was set up in June 2011 with a mandate to put in place a unified framework of policy, legislation and service provision across Government for children and young people.
Statement of Strategy
The Departments Statement of Strategy charts our vision over the next three years and will be used as a benchmark against which to review progress in implementing priority actions.
High Level Goals
- Develop, strengthen and align policies, legislation and resources in order to achieve better outcomes for children and young people and provide support for parents and families.
- Monitor and evaluate performance through strong governance and accountability systems in respect of the responsibilities of the Department and its agencies.
- Support the Department and key stakeholders in accessing better evidence and facilitating the active participation of children and young people in decisions that affect their individual and collective lives.
- Improve systems for supporting families, safeguarding and protecting children, providing alternative care and assisting those young people whose behaviour poses a risk to themselves or others.
- Support children and young people so that they can fully engage in active learning, including through the provision of high-quality early childhood care and education, youth services and addressing issues of school attendance and participation.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, including across Government, in monitoring and promoting the physical, emotional and economic well-being of children and young people and reducing inequalities.
- Be recognised as an organisation where, on an ongoing basis, high performance is achieved and personal development is supported.