Office of the Government Chief Information Officer (OGCIO)
Office of the Government Chief Information Officer (OGCIO) has the leadership role for the digital agenda across Government. OGCIO works in collaboration with organisations across the Civil and Public Service and has growing involvement in supporting sectoral digital development such as increased cyber security, the Contact Tracing App, and Vaccination roll-out. OGCIO also leads on the implementation of a number of strategies, legislation and EU Regulations.
Current strategies include the Public Service ICT Strategy and eGovernment Strategy, both of which reached the end of their programme in 2020 with replacements currently under review, the ICT HR Professionalisation Strategy for the Civil Service, and the Public Service Data Strategy 2019-2023. In addition OGCIO leads on the implementation of Data Sharing and Governance Act and the priority actions from Cruinniú GovTech 2019.
The PS ICT Strategy sought to deliver better outcomes and efficiency through innovation and excellence in ICT and many of its themes continue to be relevant. The establishment of the Vote for OGCIO in 2020 is a recognition of the importance and success to date of the Build to Share (BTS) initiative. BTS is a significant driver of the digital agenda across a range of platforms including Government Networks, the common applications suite, managed desktop services, private Government cloud, Government Data Centre and the gov.ie portal. OGCIO continues to expand the BTS client base as well as the range of services delivered.
OGCIO also participates in a range of internal, national and international working groups, steering and programme boards for strategic initiatives; has significant engagement with multilateral institutions including the OECD and in particular the EU, acting as the national coordinator for implementation of the Single Digital Gateway and eIDAS Regulations; and also plays a leadership role on innovation across the Public Service including through the development and application of a range of ICT policies.
Overall management of this Office shall comprise:
- managing the business generally of the Office;
- managing and monitoring the overall performance of the Office;
- providing policy advice to the Management Board, Secretary General, Minister and Government, as appropriate;
- ensuring the implementation of Government policies appropriate to the Office;
- monitoring Government policies, appropriate to the Office, which affect the Department;
- ensuring delivery (within the limits of resources provided) of the outputs determined by the Minister and the Secretary General;
- managing the Office’s work in implementing the relevant elements of the Statement of Strategy and overseeing the provision of progress reports to the Management Board, the Secretary General and the Minister thereon;
- providing policy advice to the Secretary General and the Minister on all matters within the remit of the Department which are appropriate to the Office;
- ensuring the effective management of risk within the Office;
- ensuring the proper use of resources, including effective financial management, and the provision of cost-effective public services appropriate to the Office;
- overseeing the assignment of specific responsibilities to individual officers or groups or grades of officer within the Office;
- managing matters relating to the appointment, performance, development and discipline of staff; and
- ensuring the appropriate co-ordination of the Office’s activities with those of other Divisions.